The Central Coast Environmental Education Network is challenging schools to reduce single use plastic and champion plastic free canteens. Schools that can demonstrate change can win a $50 voucher and will be presented with a plaque for their canteen to show they are the winning school for the term.
Schools can choose what steps they can take, from replacing plastic cutlery with re-usable (or compostable) cutlery, phasing out plastic straws, talking to their suppliers about reducing unnecessary plastic packaging or other alternative plastic reduction actions.
New schools can get involved by completing the online Green Canteen survey (on Rumbalara EEC’s website) and will receive a gift of wooden cutlery or paper straws.
Schools that have already been involved can choose a new action and tell us what you have changed by sending us a photo of the change along with a photo of your actions poster. Please send us an email to inform us of your schools involvement.
Email to Rumbalaraemail@example.com
How to be involved
1. All schools will receive a “How Green is your Canteen?” poster. Hang your poster near your canteen to show your support.
2. New schools that take the challenge should fill in the survey on the Rumbalara website and will receive free sustainable cutlery or straws.
3. Make some sustainable changes to your canteen and school and tick off the changes on the “Steps to A Green Canteen’ poster.
4. By the end of Term 3 tell us what you have changed by sending us a photo of the change along with a photo of your actions poster and email to
5. A panel will review each schools submission and advise the winner.
Green Canteen project is supported by Rumbalara Environmental Education Centre, Kariong Eco Garden, Community Environment Network, Central Coast Council, Australian Take3 and Cleanaway.