The Breastfeeding Friendly Sticker Scheme is about encouraging positive attitudes towards breastfeeding in public. In a survey conducted by the Central Coast Local Health District, it was found that 97% of women felt a ‘Breastfeeding Welcome’ sticker would be beneficial to increasing their comfort related to breastfeeding in public places.
Central Coast businesses and facilities are invited to display the ‘We are Breastfeeding Friendly’ sticker. These businesses may include coffee shops, restaurants, service clubs, local council facilities, GP surgeries, cinemas, and other places where management are supportive of women breastfeeding.
It is hoped that the scheme will help breastfeeding women to feel more comfortable about breastfeeding in public, and will increase the length of time they breastfeed for. The Breastfeeding Friendly Sticker Scheme is an initiative of the Central Coast Breastfeeding Promotion Committee. The committee has representatives from the Central Coast Local Health District and Australian Breastfeeding Association.
Want to get involved?
There are a number of criteria that need to be met before a business can display the ‘We are Breastfeeding Friendly’ sticker.
- Essential: Staff and management are supportive of mothers who breastfeed on their premises
- Highly Desirable: A non-smoking area, comfortable seating.
- Desirable: Room to manoeuvre prams, strollers, etc.
What does it mean to be supportive of mothers who breastfeed on your premises?
- Place the ‘We are Breastfeeding Friendly’ sticker you receive in a prominent position. Breastfeeding mums recognise and look for these stickers in shop front windows.
- Make sure staff are aware of the scheme, and act courteously to breastfeeding mums at all times.
- Occasionally, you may need to handle complaints from customers. If other customers complain when a baby is being breastfed on your premises explain that you are a breastfeeding friendly establishment and the reasons why. Do not ask the breastfeeding mother to stop feeding or leave. If the patron is still unhappy, you may offer to reseat them (not the breastfeeding mother).
What’s in it for your business?
- An opportunity to increase patronage by mothers who are looking for a place where they can comfortably breastfeed their babies. A survey of breastfeeding women indicated that the convenience of breastfeeding is often a key deciding factor as to where women choose to do their shopping and business.
- Promotion of your’ breastfeeding friendly’ establishment through word of mouth and information booklets given to nearly 5000 new mums via Central Coast Health and Australian Breastfeeding Association networks.
Grandparents can make a difference
- Read about ways grandparents can support breastfeeding. Contact us for a hard copy.
Help spread the word to businesses and services in your area. They can be ’breastfeeding friendly’ too.
If you know of a business who would like to display the ‘We are Breastfeeding Friendly’ sticker, speak to Rudi 4320 2251 or Lesley 4320 2057, from the Central Coast Nutrition Service, for a breastfeeding friendly sticker kit or complete below.No Fields Found.