Bite&Bounce@OSHC encourages healthy eating and active living for Outside School Hours Care (OSHC) Services on the Central Coast. OSHC includes before, after school and vacation care typically for children aged 5-12 years.
Outside School Hours Care (OSHC) Services are valuable in promoting healthy eating and physical activity to children and their families by:
- Providing healthy food and drinks
- Providing planned and spontaneous active play
- Teaching about healthy eating, physical activity and health
- Providing food activities e.g. food preparation and games
- Role modelling by educators
- Providing a supportive environment to encourage healthy behaviours
- Policies to support healthy eating and physical activity
- Providing information to families
The Bite & Bounce initiative supports local OSHC Services to meet the National Quality Standards for healthy eating and physical activity
(Quality Area 2 & 3) through the provision of the:
- Eat Smart, Play Smart Manual (Third Edition)
Healthy Kids Guidelines for Physical Activity and Nutrition in Outside of School Hours Care Centres
- And the Bite&Bounce@OSHC Whiteboard
In May 2018, the Health Promotion Service partnered with our local OSHC Services to create additional resources to support delivery of the National Quality Standards in the OSHC setting.
Check them out
OSHC Bites Recipe Book: practical nutrition information and a collection of tasty recipes for breakfast, afternoon tea and special occasions in OSHC.
Bounce Cards: Grab and go cards on a lanyard that can be worn around the neck. The cards contain practical strategies for inclusive active play and a range of games suitable for OSHC.
The Health Promotion Service would like to thank the Central Coast OSHC Services who contributed to the above resources. They showcase the knowledge and dedication of our local community in promoting good health for children and families.